Transmission & Distribution
The transmission & distribution (T&D) infrastructure faces multiple complex challenges including:
- Transmission and distribution networks have traditionally been characterized by difficulties in mobilizing the investments necessary to modernize aging infrastructure
- Today, depreciated T&D assets date back decades and need to be upgraded or rehabilitated
- As transmission investments grow, various opportunities for new business activities arise: The future grid has to be resilient against extreme weather and heavy yet also more flexible loads. The grid has to integrate decentralized energy resources and islandeable mini- and microgrids.
- Technology investments are necessary to make the grid smarter, add energy storage, and foster demand reduction
- Transmission and distribution companies need to collaboratively address these new challenges to leverage the new opportunities that grid renewal offers